Sunday 1 January 2023

Welcome 2023 - and word of the year.

 I'll admit right up front that neither my 'Process' year, nor my 'Purpose' year yielded the results I was hoping for... 

Some of that is tied to my personal expectations, some to 'Pandemic Fatigue', as COVID keeps wearing on, and wearing down my reserves... and some - some of it just IS. Neither year was a TOTAL failure, OR a complete success. That still taught me some things about this process, and about myself.

So in the spirit of actually learning those lessons, this year I'll revisit something that has long been a theme in my life, but also something I have never focused on with real intention.

Balance.

Balance has always seemed an unattainable goal - how do you Balance obligations and personal growth, or housekeeping and creative time - or any number of other impossible-feeling things... The more my health has become a factor over the years, the harder that gets. (do I stick with the exercise program, so I can forge more 'spoons' someday, or use that energy on dishes NOW?) I have made lists, I have tried apps, I have tried NOT trying so hard... with varying degrees of effectiveness.

Balance can be pretty elusive, and the more things you choose to care about, the harder it is to juggle every one of them, without dropping one or all of them at some point.

So that's my focus for this year. I want to really see whether I CAN Balance:

Health and Household
Creative Time and Connection
my Process and Purpose from past years...

...and so many other things.

The only way to discover what I am capable of, is to find that Balance, so my path meanders through everything in my life that I value.

I have to learn that it's okay to:

Rest
Say No
and Change Plans

...so that I get through this year. Balance is ALSO about not overdoing stuff, just 'because' you think you've committed to it. It's a complex, and ever-moving target.

And it's time I paid it proper attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment