Thursday 28 April 2022

Still more Shenanigans - Andean-Inspired


Tiny khaitu, and equally tiny project... 

I decided for the Andean-Inspired challenge that I wanted to flex my memory a bit, and work from the remembered photograph, and related discussion, in Abby Franquemont's Discord.

But first, I needed yarn. I decided I would try to make it work, in miniature - because that's just how I roll.

First khaitu - I do NOT recommend putting in this much plying twist on the micro-pushka...
...but now I know what happened when I tried.



Tiny skein, in all its sea-urchin glory. Probably enough twist... just.


I had to 'properly' fill this spindle, at least once. 

      
I also added plying twist to a handspun stash yarn of similar size, so I would have 3 colours for my warp.

Setting up the warp, I used my smallest warping board, resting on the floor, so the pegs faced me, a bit above knee level.

My very first Andean-style warp with my handspun. 3-pairs

This was my actual waste from the green and yellow - I had EXACTLY enough.
The burgundy is my mini, I put everything left after warping into it.

I already had my pattern figured out.

There was a textile that someone received, that looked like it was made up of a 2-pair motif, rather than the 3 pairs we started learning on. Abby Assured us that there ARE no 2-pair patterns in traditional Andean weaving, and dropped a couple of hints as to how the construction worked on 3-pairs... I wanted to make THAT, with the added challenge of not even going back to look at the picture in the Discord thread.

...just like I would have to do if I lived in the Andes, and saw a pattern I wanted to make... 

Of course, Abby ALSO hinted that this pattern worked better on wider fabric, IIRC - because part of how it works is a combination of tension, and the way high-twist yarns behave...

The false 2-pair 'puntas' didn't behave when I started weaving - it very clearly showed all 3 threads, rather than hiding one, so I did a few repeats of another pattern I hadn't done yet: 'ocho-ocho'... and let the pattern yarns accumulate a little slack...

After a false start, I chose a different pattern I hadn't woven, to try...
'ocho-ocho'


...then transitioned into my 'false 2-pair puntas' pattern.
You can clearly see the 3 threads when I start.

THEN it worked - after I tweaked my weft tension a little, to help 'squash' the extra thread into hiding.

Success! Tiny mountains.

Proof of twist... Probably enough... I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment